The review by RJGync said this add-on no longer worked. I just tested it with the latest Thunderbird 45 and it works okay.
The problem mentioned by markrlondon on October 17, 2011 was still true on a PC.
"All of 'Copy Name & Home Address', 'Copy Home Address', 'Copy Name & Work Address' and 'Copy Work Address' produce copied text that has no line breaks in it. E.g. "John Smith1234Main StreetBigtown90210USA"."
Trying to copy the full name and address to Notepad on a PC shows no line breaks in the address. It is all one line. It is still a bit easier than copying each part of the address separately but it is annoying.
It is doubtful this will ever get fixed since the add-on is so old. But if the developer ever sees this, maybe the line break character being inserted is wrong for PCs but ok for Macs... please fix if possible. Thanks.
For a while, I used this add-on frequently; now it no longer works with the newer Tbird versions, and there is no replacement. The problem is larger than one extension -- Tbird's address book display has become buggy and there is a real need for improvement, including the ability to copy text. It is very sad that this is no longer working.
I have used this add-on for some time and found it very useful indeed. I keep all my customer addresses in Thunderbird address book and this add-on was the only way to copy the name and address in one click. Unfortunately it no longer works in Thunderbird 45.2.0 and as far as I can see there has been no development since 2011. Is it still being supported?
Great extension ! ! THE missing feature from Thunderbird is corrected thanks to this add-on.
Add the function Copy from the list of contacts (to copy all the information of the contact quickly -same thing as "Select All + Copy selection") and I give you the fifth star. Still a great job as it is ! ! Thanks for that .
I've been using this for several months with no issues - and saved a lot of extra keystrokes - thanks.
How's about some paste functions as well? I mean, the number of times I have to split up an address and paste each line into TB's contact properties, not to mention email & tel numbers on different tabs. Dragging items between address fields doesn't work (it copies!). It must be possible:- 1. User recognizes address/tel/email is missing. Clicks on it: opens relevant tab in Properties. 2. User copies address from wherever (Word, web...), and paste is handled intelligently, putting the right lines in the right TB fields. 3. User saves contact; Properties closes and returns.
I totally agree, those would be cool features. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough today to implement that kind of thing. Also, I think it would be more difficult than you think to automatically recognize all the different kinds of international phone numbers and address formats.
Hello, thank you for a very useful and very promising addon. However, 1.5 has a few bugs running in TB 7.0.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
1) When a complete address (either private or work) is highlighted and copied using 'Copy Selection' then the second address field (the one without a label) is included even when it's blank. If it's blank it should really be collapsed in the copied text.
2) All of 'Copy Name & Home Address', 'Copy Home Address', 'Copy Name & Work Address' and 'Copy Work Address' produce copied text that has no line breaks in it. E.g. "John Smith1234Main StreetBigtown90210USA".
3) When the Enigmail addon is loaded then Select Address Book Text's right click menu conflicts with Enigmail's menu on the email address field. Only Enigmail's menu appears and Select Address Book Text's does not.
Greetings. Thanks for your review. The "Copy Home Address" context menu items are meant to copy the full address and should automatically add line breaks where needed. I can't replicate your problem on Mac platform and have heard no complaints from other users about this. I agree that extra line breaks get inserted if you simply copy a text selection, which is why the context menu items exist.
I was able to install version 1.5 into Thunderbird 6.0.1 today. Just extract the files, and modify the install.rdf file. I set the maxVersion to 7.0, and set the version to 1.5.W (for Wilbur!). Replace the install.rdf file in the .xpi package and install. Initial tests show it is working as expected!